Tuesday, March 30, 2010

loyal subscriber

This year I put my magazine subscribing on hold. I truly felt overwhelmed by magazines in ‘09. And I think my tastes have started to mature a little. Or maybe I’m trying to force my celebrity/trash obsession to die :) Last year I had subscriptions to Us Weekly, Real Simple, Glamour, InStyle, Elle Decor and Marie Claire. I’m trying to decide which ones should stay, go and if there are any new ones to I should add to the collection. I thought I’d do a little pro/con to talk myself through the tough decision.

UsWeekly.

Pros: I have felt so out of the loop not knowing what the heck is going on with poor Sandra. I actually had to ask my mom the other day how'd she find out? What’s her next move? Poor Sandy. So, in the celebrity know-pro. Shopping finds. Sometimes makeup and hair tips also a pro. Quick read-pro. High entertainment value and it’s a perfect bathtub read. (I’m turning into my mom..baths are needed.)
Cons: Not cheap to subscribe to; but if I’m grabbin’ the darn thing on the way out of the store, then I guess I’m spending waaay more buying single issues. Not exceptionally decorative on the living room table.

Real Simple.

Pros: Love this mag. I can’t give it up either way. It has great recipes, great organizing tips and buys. I don’t generally read the long articles in here, but I’m sure they’re great too.
Cons: I have to actually sit down and read this one. All the recipes I’ve ripped out in the last 12 months have made my cookbook a hot mess. More time spent inserting recipes in the ol’ cookbook :)

Glamour and InStyle.

Pros: I really love both for all things fashion and beauty. Glamour has helpful makeup and hair buys for any budget and any level of skill. InStyle sure makes me feel like I can be in my mid-upper 20’s and still look just as cool as those college girls!
Cons: Also takes up time getting through Glamour. I’ve found that Glamour is the last magazine I read if time allows.

ElleDecor.

elle decor
Pros: How can you not love pretty pictures of houses you'll never have?! The subscription to Elle Decor is really cheap and only 10 times a year. I would have a 2 month break.
Cons: How can you not hate pretty pictures of houses you’ll never have?! kidding. I like to try and copy things when I can. Elle provides great inspiration.

Marie Claire.

Pros: I’m going to be real honest, I don’t like Marie Claire. I get annoyed by all the lengthy articles. Show me some pretty pictures. Show me some cute dresses I can pick up at my local Old Navy. Give me the deals, MC. Tell me what mascara to buy. Marie Claire leaves me annoyed.
Cons: See the rant above.

New Players.

House Beautiful – I grabbed the card to subscribe a few weeks ago because I think I’m in love. More pretty pictures. Also home tips. Since we’re home owners now, I’m thinking I’ll need these.
Better Homes and Gardens -  Also a good source of home tips but I’m not so into the gardening part yet. (My yards telling me I should be…but one thing at a time.) So I’m thinking BHG may be too overqualified for my needs.
Any others I should consider? Are there any other good girly mags? Is it a bad obsession to have so many coming in? What are good ways to store or recycle all the great articles?
signature2

4 comments:

Morgan said...

www.usmagazine.com

That's US Weekly's website that has all the info. Check it daily, yo. I gave my subscription to US Weekly up a few years ago when I found their website. Plus, for some reason, it's one website that's not blogged from school. So I can check it at work!

Christine said...

House Beautiful is my fave! Definitely get that one, and I really like BHG but Real Simple might be more up my alley too. I also went crazy on the mag subscriptions and just ordered Self - attempting to get healthy by reading a mag - real smart. Anyways, I also want In Style and am thinking it's time to subscripe to People's Style Watch - do you ever read that one?

ChasingHallie said...

Emily...get a Fresh Home from Barnes and Noble and check it out. It only has 4 or 6 issues a year so won't overwhelm you and its cheap. Plus, it has great DIY articles including hours and cost breakdowns. Awesome for a new homeowner!

Emily @ EMILY POSTS said...

Thanks guys! The US website does help my fix but I still don't feel satisfied. Maybe the People's Style Watch could fill that void? I think it's only seasonal...helping my overload problem. Tine, how's Self workin' out for ya?! Hal, can you subscribe to Fresh Home?