Thursday, May 20, 2010

creamy chicken enchiladas

I got this recipe from a friend’s mom in one of those recipe, e-mail chain things and I found it while organizing my recipe book today. (Thank you Mrs. Dowdell!) Preston has just recently acquired a taste for Mexican food so I made a few tweaks to make it cheese-hating-meat and potatoes lover friendly. I also planned on adding cheese to mine- duh. In the end they were a crowd pleaser and were super easy!

Ingredients

1 tbs butter
1 chopped onion
1 can chopped green chilies, drained
4 oz cream cheese
3 cooked  chicken breasts, shredded
tortillas (I used flour tonight, but P said they were mushy so next time I’ll use corn)
2 c whipping cream or milk (optional)
1/4 c sour cream
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp parsley
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
can of chili (use this instead of whipping cream to top)

1. Cook chicken and set to the side to cool.

2. Melt butter and sauté onions for about 5 minutes. Add green chilies, cream cheese and chicken and warm until cream cheese melts. (This made a ton of chicken mixture. I baked 6 enchiladas because I didn’t have room for any more but I probably had enough chicken for 8-10.)

3. Spoon mixture down tortillas and place in greased 13x9 pan seam side down. (This is when I added cheese to the inside of mine.) Drizzle with whipping cream and more of the chicken sauce.

*I covered mine with chili and Preston decided he wanted chili too. (He doesn’t know he had a milk, chili topping but he ate it all the same while making mmmm…so good…you’re the best …love you 4 ever noises.)

4. Bake for 40 min at 350. (You could probably cook until the chili starts bubbling but I had other things to tend to…The Office, 30 Rock etc.)

Sorry no food pictures. Enchiladas look disgusting.

signature2

2 comments:

ChasingHallie said...

Who has to acquire a taste for Mexican food? Crazy!

Emily @ EMILY POSTS said...

I KNOW, Hallie! You're tellin' me!!!