This weekend flew by. Preston was floating the river for a bachelor party so I took the opportunity to have a cheese filled dinner Friday night. (He’s not a cheese eater. Yes, you read that correctly. No.Cheese.)
I I’d heard that Pioneer Woman had an easy, yummy recipe for tortillas so I whipped these babies up with a little taco meat, cheese, homemade guac, sour cream and salsa. Yummmm.
Homemade Tortillas – courtesy of PW
Ingredients
2-½ cups All-purpose Flour
2-½ teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
½ cups Lard Or Vegetable Shortening
2 Tablespoons (additional) Lard Or Vegetable Shortening
1 cup Hot Water
Instructions
Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a large wooden bowl. Stir together.
Add spoonfuls of lard or shortening (use 1/2 cup PLUS 2 tablespoons), then use a pastry cutter to combine the ingredients. Cut mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
Slowly pour in hot water, stirring to bring mixture together. Lightly knead dough 30 to 40 times, or until it becomes a cohesive ball of dough and is less sticky. Cover with a tea towel and allow dough to rest for at least an hour.
Roll into ping pong size balls, place on a tray, cover with a tea towel, and allow to rest for another 20 to 30 minutes.
When you’re ready to make the tortillas, head a dark or cast iron griddle to medium/medium-high heat. One by one, roll out balls of dough until very, very thin. Throw tortillas (one by one) onto the griddle. Cook on each side for 20 to 30 seconds, removing while tortillas are still soft but slightly brown in spots. Remove and stack tortillas, and cover with a towel to keep warm. Serve immediately or allow to cool before storing tortillas in a container. To warm, nuke tortillas in the microwave, or wrap in foil and warm in the oven.
And now for some pictures of my own tortillas…(you can see nice pretty pictures on Ree’s website)
Looks bad. Tastes good.
I ended up with a few that were the perfect taco making size.
Guacamole
3 avocados - peeled, pitted, and mashed
1 lime, juiced
1 teaspoon salt
1 diced onion
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 pinch ground cayenne pepper (optional)
1 jalapeno
I diced, minced and mixed. Enjoy!
Last night I had a bachelorette party and had a great time! It’s nice going out with just the girls. We went to a few of my favorite places in OKC. Lots of fun.
I've had this song stuck in my head ever since that night. (Just like "Hot in Herr" was stuck in head months after our senior trip to Cancun.) **( warning mom)Explicit Lyrics
Today P and I recovered. We started Alice in Wonderland twice, and finally finished just in time for the basketball game. We both really liked it, better than Tim Burton’s remake of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Now I'm itching to see the original Alice and also read the book! (Hello, beach book list!)


No comments:
Post a Comment