Tuesday, August 3, 2010

cream cheese stuffed pretzels

I lived in the sorority house for two years when I was in college and loved every minute of it. I could list a.lot of cons, but overall I made some of the very best friends living in the house. One of the very best things living in the house- cream cheese stuffed pretzels. They were rarely served but when they were, those babies went fast. My roommates and I swiped and hid as many as possible. It wasn't really the "sisterly" thing to do to take 5 at a time..but for cream cheese stuffed pretzel's, it was every sister for themselves.

Recently, Christine found these yummies on Schwan's, but I know my hungry, self control-less self.  They would be gone in a day. (Preston rarely eats cream cheese. So I can trust that I will be the only lucky one to partake.)

Hot Soft Pretzels Filled with Cream Cheese
from the Recipe Link

Ingredients
1 (.25 oz) pkg dry active yeast
2 tbl sugar
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 c warm water, 110 degrees
3 c all purpose flour
1 c bread flour
2 c warm water, 110 degrees
2 tbl baking soda
2 tbl butter, melted
2-4 tbl softened cream cheese
2 tbl cinnamon sugar

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast, sugar and 1-1/2 cups warm water.

Place flour and salt in food processor with metal blade and blend by pressing the pulse a couple of times, pour water mixture through feed tube while machine is running until smooth and elastic, about 40 seconds. The dough will leave the side of the bowl. If dough is too wet add more flour or if too dry add more water. Place in a greased bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover, and let rise for one hour.


Combine 2 cups warm water and baking soda in an 8 inch square pan.

After dough has risen, cut into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a 3 foot rope, pencil thin (if filling with cream cheese roll one 3 foot piece flat. Pipe on cheese leaving edges free (to seal back into a rope) Twist into a pretzel shape, and dip into the baking soda solution.



Place on parchment covered cookie sheets, and let rise 15 to 20 minutes.



Bake at 450 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown.



Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with coarse salt, or cinnamon sugar and chopped roasted almonds.

Makes 12 servings.



2 comments:

Adie said...

Emily, you can not taunt me with such yummy things! HA I have no self control myself - hence my post today.

ABee said...

We did have some good times in room 31, didn't we? :)