Tuesday, March 9, 2010

chicken salad

Preston's pretty good about packing a lunch for work so I'm trying to get in the same routine. Wouldn't this lunch box be wonderful, GREEN inspiration?! I want it. I saw them a few weeks ago and didn't purchase at TJ Maxx in Edmond, but I wasn't able to find one at the TJ close to my work. We have two of the wine bags. (Believe me, I tried to see if a sandwich would fit in the wine one, and it won't.) I need to drive back to Edmond soon to pick one up. Much cuter than the target sacks I have been using all week. Ok-on to the yummy salad. I found this recipe on Food Network's site but I trimmed it down a bit and here's what I used.



Ingredients
Poached Chicken
10 sprigs of parsley
2 sprigs thyme
1 small onion, cut like an apple
1 small carrot (I used a handful of baby carrots)
3 lbs chicken breasts
5-6 c chicken broth (I bought one of those big things and used it all)
Dressing
1 yellow onion diced
1 1/2 tsp dill
2 tbl chopped parsley
1 cup mayo
1 tsp dijon
salt & peper to taste

I bought the boneless, skinless, split already kind at Target so I didn't have to worry about trimming the fat or skin. (For all you new chicken poachers, it's basically like cooking rice. You bring everything to a boil and turn to low and cover for 20 minutes. I had to look up what it meant. I also had to look up "sprigs".) I whipped up the other stuff while the chicken cooked and cooled. When it was nice and not-hot, I pulled apart with a fork or my fingers. I'm not a big fan of the cubed chicken. And I'm also not so good with knives; pulling apart was faster and safer. I drained and saved the broth. Not sure when I'll need it again, but it's in the freezer when I do. I guess I could use it next time I whip this up.


Now to the other stuff. I didn't use celery, and I'm sure you could add egg, apple or grapes if you want to. We're boring, and I don't like surprising textures in my salad. So I mixed everything up and stirred in the chicken. Let me tell you, this salad's pretty darn good. At first I thought there wasn't going to be enough dressing but after I stirred it awhile it was perfect. Who likes goopy chicken salad anyway? It made a large Tupperware thing of salad, and Preston and I have each had it for lunch this week. I think it will survive through Friday, but I'm going to miss it when it's gone!


2 comments:

eas said...

Love the new background!
Can't wait to try this chicken salad! I don't like surprises in my food either!
and I think they sell those lunch bags at walmart too! (not as fancy of a print though)

Christine said...

I poached chicken like this on Sunday! Makes for some great chicken nachos! Thanks for the tip. It was super easy and delicious.