Monday, March 15, 2010

on to the next one

Did ya’ll watch Pretty Wild last night on E!? It was ok. I think it’ll be my Kardashian filler. Definitely better than High Society on WB. I do think Tinsley Mortimer is amazing, especially for her age. But the show was blah. No fun clothes, and her apartment was empty at the time so no fun furnishings.f8ec8806
On to the fun stuff. We had a busy busy weekend. Friday we were able to have a little alone time and have a yummy dinner at Cafe 501. It’s definitely one of our favorites; from apps to desert, it’s pretty good. Saturday we finished painting the guest room. I l-o-v-e the griege we ended up with and I can’t wait to finish the rest of the house.

Saturday night we had dinner at my sisters. Her boyfriend cooked some ribs for his birthday. And yesterday my parents bought us a house warming gift. A new GRILL!! And an area rug for the living room! TWO HOORAYS! Thanks Mom & Dad!

The grill isn’t completely put together yet, but it’s getting there. Last night I cooked these ribs that were so, super easy, and a definite crowd (of 1) pleaser. I got the recipe out of Real Simple.

Gingery Glazed Asian Ribs

Ingredients

2 tbs grated fresh ginger
3 lbs baby back ribs
black pepper
1/2 c hoison sauce
1/4 c soy sauce
2 cloves chopped garlic
1 c sushi or jasmine rice
2 thinly sliced scallions
Heat oven to 350. Place ribs in large roasting pan and season with pepper.
In a small bowl, combine sauces with garlic & ginger. Spoon half the mixture of the ribs. Cover the pan tightly with foil and cook until ribs are tender. (40-45 min)
Heat broiler and spoon off & discard all but 1/2 c of the pan drippings. Cut into individual ribs & glaze with remaining sauce. Broil for 2-3 minutes. Serve over rice with scallions & juices.
Since I’m pretty bad at following directions, here are a few things I did different. We had 2 1/2 lbs of ribs and no leftovers, and I didn’t use any of the pan drippings because I didn’t want the grease to make our tummy’s ache. I had plenty of sauce left to drizzle on at the end, but if we ever do more than 2 1/2 lbs, I’ll make more sauce. Also, after the 45 minutes, the ribs weren’t quite falling off the bone, but after we broiled them, they were perfect. This was super easy since I cooked the jasmine rice during the last 20 minutes and steamed the broccoli in a bag. Preston couldn’t get them down fast enough!

signature2

2 comments:

ABee said...

Em, your blog is so cute!! :) How did you make the little banner with your pictures on it at the top? Creighton and I have a blog, and I'm thinking it needs some personalizing.

LOVE all your decorating and cooking posts - your festive domesticity and creativity have never ceased to amaze me. Miss you.

Joi said...

I didn't catch to show but I love her name! : )