Thursday, March 18, 2010

Favorite Time Filler

I have a little bit of a commute. Over the last year or two I’ve become a full fledged podcast addict. I love all kinds of music, but started listening to audiobooks. I found myself wasting a lot of gas just to finish the book. Podcasts are perfect for my drive; they can be long or short, funny or sad, fiction or non fiction. I don’t remember my first podcast, but typically once I find one I like, I get on iTunes and I check out what other subscribers of my faves are listening to. Here’s a list and quick summary of some of my favorites.

Stuff You Should Know
Stuff You Missed in History Class
Stuff Your Mom Never Told You

All three of these blogs are produced by the people at HowStuffWorks.com.  They have podcasts for everyone. I love the history podcast especially. They cover in 15-25 minutes the Taj Mahal or the city of Pompeii. There hasn’t been one that I’ve skipped. “Stuff You Should Know” is also super informative about all kinds of things. Last year they covered Ponzi schemes just in time to save me from looking like a dummy :)  The girls on “Stuff Your Mom Never Told You” can get kind of annoying..but I’ve enjoyed some of their topics like why is pink associated with girls and blue with boys. I scan through these and pick and chose what I want to hear.

This American Life
Fresh Air

About a year ago I discovered “This American Life” and I’m hooked. The hours long programs are awesome, and if I don’t catch it in my car I make sure to catch up online. Their website has a great list of favorites. The shows are typically 3-5 stories on a certain subject.

RadioLab

Just recently TAM featured a story from RadioLab. RadioLab’s shows are more scientific, but really, very interesting. Did you know there’s a type of dementia where even if you recognize someone, you swear they are an imposter of that person? RL also provides shorts, which made my worthless trip to Wal-Mart today feel not so worthless. My favorite story was about a doctor and his wife who raised a monkey like a human child just to see the outcome. All true.

Celebrity Playlist Podcast

No lie, I now feel like Perez Hilton is my new found music soul mate. Last week it was Jeff Bridges. Every week, these shows turn me onto new awesome music or old stuff I haven’t listened to in awhile. This podcast is awesome. It’s about 15 minutes, not long enough, but famous artists kind of talk through some of their favorites. Some of my favorite shows: Ringo Starr, Lady GaGa and Mick Fleetwood. Oh..and Perez :)

If you haven’t jumped on the Podcast bandwagon YOU SHOULD! And do share when you find the good ones :)

signature2

1 comment:

mp said...

oh my goodness! I am SOOO addicted to the Stuff you Should Know podcasts! Chuck and Josh are hilarious! The History one is my absolute fav!! I was so glad when they got rid of Candice though, she drove me nuts. Chuck and Josh are the reason why I am TOTALLY against flouridated water! haha! I'll have to check out the others! luv ya!