Thursday, June 24, 2010

finished: little bee


I finished "Little Bee" by Chris Cleave this last weekend. LOVED.IT. I know there are a lot of "The Help" fans out there, but I liked "Little Bee" ten times more. It was easier to read, it was interesting, I couldn't put it down. This book felt more real to me. The story didn't sugarcoat or fantasize anything and I really liked that the author kept it real. ("Kept it real" to me, may be "depressing" to others. It's just kind of the books I like!)

It does have some heart-warming ness to it. The story is narrated by both a Nigerian refugee and English journalist who meet accidentally on the beach in Nigeria. Their lives become intertwined in a way neither expects. The story really is about racism, globaliztion, and the human condition. Again, I loved it.

I had "The Year of Magical Thinking" with me at the airport, but I think I'm going to set it to the side to start "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". Has anyone read "The Year of Magical Thinking"?


No comments: