Thursday, August 12, 2010

in preparation for a cookout

I got a text out of nowhere the other day that a high school friend that lives in England was making a last minute stop in Oklahoma! Knowing she was only going to be here for a week, I had to scramble to schedule her for an evening. After getting the go ahead from P, and a few group texts to the girls, we decided on having a cookout on Friday.

Let the menu planning begin!! Erin and Hannah are helping by bringing a side and a dessert. Preston will man the grill, so I need to provide another side and some appetizers. And all the other guys will provide beverages.

For the appetizer's I've decided to make a couple of dips. I've really been in a guacamole rut lately. Last time I made it, it wasn't so good. So I'm trying to find other options.

This seven layer dip looks so yummy..


But it would entail me whipping up some pico AND guac...

Black Eyed Pea Salsa would be easy.


I posted this yesterday. It's definitely better after chilling a few days so I can prepare this one tonight.

Preston's been digging some hummus lately. I wonder if the recipe is fail proof so I'm not testing on our guests? (BTW, what's tahini??)


I could also whip up some queso. It's easy, but how do you serve it without forming the crusty layer on top?

My side dish isn't stressing me as much. I plan on making rosemary potatoes. Just something my mom whips up. They're super easy.

Rosemary Potatoes

cubed, washed red potatoes (russet work also, but red potatoes cook faster and taste better. And are better for you!!)
rosemary
salt and pepper
olive oil

45 minutes - 1 hour in the oven at 375.

Any other appetizer ideas? I'm not too concerned about having some kind of theme. We haven't gone to the store in two weeks, so the easier the better :)

I'm really looking forward to everyone coming over. It's always nice to wrap up the week with a good burger night. And I'm glad I have two full days to recover afterwards :)

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

3 comments:

Morgan said...

grits. I love em.


Or stuffed jalepenoes.

And you can make a really easy blackberry cobler for dessert w/vanilla ice cream.

eas said...

7 layer dip = amazing.

and I'm SOOO excited for the cookout! going to the store tonight!

Christine said...

umm what's the rest of the directions for the rosemary potatoes? I want to make them! And your ingredient list is WAY shorter than Pioneer Woman's. Please share! :)