Wednesday, August 11, 2010

vacation book recap

I'm not sure what the h is wrong with my picture uploader. As soon as I click upload and walk away, it quits. So a full vacation recap with pictures (which are mostly scenic. which is good since I am now sporting the.worst sunglasses tan lines ever) will be posted later.

I took 4 books with us on our 7 day voyage. I only aimed to finish 3, but a girl needs some choices. (I only finished 2 1/2..but I'm happy!) I took Harry Potter and the...last one, Mennonite in a Little Black Dress, South of Broad, and My Fair Lazy.'

First Up- Mennonite in a Little Black Dress


I finished this one in 2 days. It was hilarious!!! The book is about a newly single, snarky writer, that was raised Mennonite. She goes through some rough stuff, including her husband leaving her for a guy, and a bad car accident and decides to visit home for a little rejuvenation. I really admire how the book was never condescending, or trashed the Mennonite faith. The family antics and stories were relateable and touching. I really appreciated that the book had a moral and didn't just end up in the air. I loved this book and now understand why it was on everyone's summer read list!

My Fair Lazy


PERFECT beach read! My first Jen Lancaster experience was a success!! This book was also hilarious (LOL hilarious) and I could keep right up with her reality show metaphors. (Not sure what that says about me..Atleast she makes money from her bad tv watching!)  What I took from this book - Being an avid reality/crappy TV watcher is JUST FINE! It's when you start thinking crappy tv is quality tv...then it's a problem!

Speaking of, what did ya'll think about RHODC?? I kept getting a few of them confused..Mary and Lynda maybe?? I kind of liked Kat though.

What Jen Lancaster book should I read next? Are all of them just as good?

South of Broad


After reading two easy, light reads, I had a hard time focussing on South of Broad. I was reading and re reading a lot. Now that I'm about 100 pages in, I'm hooked. Pat Conroy paints such a vivid picture of Charleston.  And Charleston family ties run deep. I'll let you know as soon as a finish but I think it's going to be a good one.

Harry will have to wait! Hopefully I can finish before the movie comes out :)

Speaking of...(AGAIN) you have to see Emma Watson's new do if you haven't already!

Happy Hump Day!

1 comment:

Sweet Simplicity said...

I loved Mennonite in a Little Black Dress. It was so funny. I haven't read this Jen Lancaster book yet, but it is on my list. She cracks me up.