Thursday, November 4, 2010

family tree

Last year for Christmas, my sister and I gave our grandparents a homemade giftcard for dinner out on us. On Monday we finally all got together at Upper Crust in OKC.

It was so much fun! I see my grandparents fairly often, but I always love talking to them about the latest in life and hearing old stories. This week they had a lot to say about the election, world series and Big XII football.

Charming, right?


 I aim to please and wore last year's Christmas sweater gifted from the g-parents :)


Carolyn and I are so lucky to have healthy grandparents. They're both history buffs (most of my family are) so it's really neat to have my Grandma tell Preston about our South Carolina ties. We could've had relatives fighting next to each other in the Revolutionary War! (Nerd alert, I know.) One of these days I really want to sit down with my grandma and build our family tree. Has anyone used Ancestry.com? Or any other family tree website?

Grandma said it was the best Christmas gift we could've gotten them. I think I know what we'll be getting them this year! (She also said she wanted a copy of "The Patriot"!) Done and done!

(BTW - Upper Crust has good food and was inexpensive!)

5 comments:

Studio 13 said...

What a thoughtful idea. I never know what to get the grandparents!

Sweet Simplicity said...

How fun! I bet they loved going to dinner with you all. What a sweet gift.

Caroline said...

This is a great idea. They are so cute!!!

Morgan said...

Both of my older brothers got together with some older family members on my mom and dad's side and made a big family tree. They have where everyone was born/died and where they are buried. How many wives/husbands they had, kids, blah blah blah. It was a lot of work, but it's amazing what they came up with. And they went to some older members in the family and got some super old pics.

We bring out the family tree for all holidays.

I think this should be your new obsession!

Megistentialism said...

I used Ancestry.com back in 2002-2004 timeframe for a school project. We ended up having to fight them for overbilling and charging for a free-trial.... they had to refund us our money but it was quite the fight. Utah has a really extensive ancestry search library since it's a total Mormon thing to know everything about your ancestors/pray for those who weren't saved, etc. I have been wanting to do my family's history so if you get me the names, dates, locations etc of who you would want me to look up, I could just do it when I do mine! That way you have a good starting place or whatever if you decide to go with one of those websites you have to pay for. Just an idea. I think it could be a fun winter project :)