Preston and I had a wonderful, relaxing week with his family at the beach. They have a house on Kiawah Island just about 30 minutes outside of Charleston. I have been to Charleston before, but never to the beaches in South Carolina. (I take that back - Preston took me to his old surfing spot in November, but I barely got out of the car it was so cold and rainy.) I'm pretty easy to please on beach vacations. Just give me some beverages and books!
Kiawah Island itself is so beautiful. It's a secluded community on a golf course (or 2) where the majority of people get around on bikes. There were many days on are way to or from the beach that we ran into deer on the paths. We even saw a few gators! No a big deal :)
Yes, it was "fog up your camera" humid.
So you can visualize..
To make up for my extreme, adventerness, P drove me over to Charleston harbor the next day.
This was on the corner of the battery. Charleston Yacht Club is the building on the right.
We went out in Charleston one night. I had to get my oyster fill. I had been craving a Pearlz oyster shot for months. (Shot: oyster, red pepper vodka, and cocktail sauce = heaven in your mouth) Preston used to work at an upscale restaurant downtown called McCrady's. We stopped there for a beverage before heading to diner. (All we can currently afford!) They have the best specialty drinks. I had a basil mojito type thing. It was AWE.SOME. It had muddled basil, citron vodka and soda. I am going to try to recreate these for Preston's birthday dinner in a few weeks.
After a delicious dinner at Pearlz, and a few too many oyster shots (and awesome people watching) we met some of P's friends at a couple of bars. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming. I love hearing stories about Preston from the past. (Glad I wasn't there to experience most of them :) )We had a great time.
I love Charleston. The history and people are amazing. We'd both love to move here someday.
The last day was a scramble to take a few last pics.
Jeez - these guys are in desperate need of some sooner gear :)
The last night we took a nice bike ride around the golf course. This was the view on the river side.
Our last morning, Preston had to take a final swim. It was so nice and quiet that morning. The beaches in South Carolina are so different from the one's in south Florida. I loved the sand and the changing tides.
I hope we can return again soon!
All images and content on Emily Posts Blog are the personal property of Emily Posts Blog or are readily available on the Internet and believed to be in public domain. Images posted are believed to be published according to the U.S. Copyright Fair Use Act (title 17, U.S. Code.) Copyright © 2010 Emily Posts Blog


1 comment:
What a beautiful place! I really hope to make it to Charleston one day.
Post a Comment