We've always been pretty good about splitting our expenses 50/50, and our method has always worked for us. We really want to want to start saving together, and we think it's best to create a general account that shared expenses come from. I know that everyone does this differently, but we've agreed that we'll each have a separate checking account that we'll get our "allowance", but all income will be pooled in one shared account. (This is probably TMI.) I'm assuming eventually this will probably change, especially when we have kids. But that's what the shared saving is about - being able to plan and adjust for those things.
After looking at combining the accounts, which is a major pain in the ass in itself, I've started to notice where most of our money goes. Kinda makes you sick! (And another reason for our still separate "allowance" accounts. A little privacy is ok!) Insert Dave Ramsey. I'm all about planning, but this guy is intense. Separately we're two mid to upper 20s adults that have student loans, car payments, MEDICAL BILLS (grrr), and credit card debt. I know all of this is normal, but geez it can add up. And we're sick of being normal. We want to be savers. This weekend we're really going to sit down and hash out our combined budget. With Dave's help, hopefully by the time we're legally married, this budget crap will be habit. (I think that's one of his mottos...or something like about making it habit.)
Hopefully by putting pen to paper, and looking at things once a week, we're able to stick to it. It will be exciting watching our savings grow and debt decrease. Dave's budgets are available for print here. My next month's beach read can be found here. How boring am I?!
Has anyone else tried out Dave Ramsey or found any budgeting habits that work for them? Do share :)
3 comments:
I've wanted to try the Dave Ramsey stuff before, but we just haven't ever pulled the trigger. Keep us posted on how it's working for you guys! Oh, and how long til the big day?
Yay for winding down on the planning! Yall are so organized :) I have all the Dave Ramsey books but haven't gotten into them yet.
We are similar to yall in that we have our same separate accounts and then a joint checking and a joint savings. I love it because we both have a specific amount that we deposit into our joint account each month to pay all of our bills. Then whatever is left over in our personal account is there for whatever we want to do with it. We always take turns paying for dinners/activities so that things remain even out of our personal accounts :) I'm sure it'll be different when we have kids but as of right now, it is perfect and simple.
Debt is scary and annoying. We had all of ours paid down (except our house) until I had to buy my new car/got laid off.... now we're back to trying to get it at zero. Dang.
Good luck with all your budget stuff! Let me know how the book goes!
The Husband and I have been married for almost 17 years. At the beginning of our marriage, we pooled our earnings into one account*, out of which we paid all our debts (individual & joint) and used the remainder for living expenses & entertainment. We found we had more spending power together than separate.
Perhaps you can find that also?
*401K savings taken first
Post a Comment