Sunday, April 18, 2010

loose ends – furniture, new legs and a book

It has been raining since I left work Friday night but Preston and I have definitely taken advantage of the perfect indoor weather! I finished up his nightstand.
From this:DSC00265
To this:
  He loves. Said it looks brand new :) Yesterday I went to a few antique stores with my mom. We ended up spending most of our time at the second stop because the guy had to pull out the antique jewelry. We had a lot of fun trying on rings (that my fingers were too fat for!) After my $9 successful trip to the Salvation Army last week, my eyes were hurting from normal antique prices. I was in owl heaven though.
IMG_0508
IMG_0492
IMG_0493
IMG_0495 
IMG_0504 
IMG_0505 
IMG_0506 
IMG_0507
Back to my price tag shock- I found a few tables I really loved. But I honestly feel like I could find the same kind of love on Craig’s List for a lot lower price. And if a little refinishing is needed, I’m ok with that. So, I came home empty handed. (No owls at.all. That place had $50 owls?! Not my kind of owl.)
Aforementioned tables:
IMG_0496
IMG_0500
I also found a metal dresser that would be really special for a possible island or extra storage in our kitchen.
IMG_0491Have you ever seen a metal dresser?! It was really neat. White with pale yellow stripes. I’m not sure if it would go but it was cool. It really inspired me to find my own metal dresser to redo :)
   My legs came in Friday! They are just as amazing in person as they are in the pictures and they got here super quick! My mom had found some wood restore stuff and I thought I would try it on the piece before succumbing to restraining. Let me tell ya, it was magic. Scratch 3 isn’t perfect, but it’s a lot better.
Scratch 1 Before the magicDSC00272 
Scratch 1 After the magicDSC00275
Scratch 2 Before the magicDSC00273 
Scratch 2 After the magicDSC00276
Scratch 3 Before the magicDSC00274
Scratch 3 After the magic  DSC00277
After the restorer and two trips to Lowe’s for the right screws, Preston was eager finish ‘er up.
DSC00269

DSC00280 
DSC00279
LOVE THEM. I’m still working on rigging the wires, but the tv is temporary so I’m not sure what we’ll end up doing with the cable box. Nonetheless, the legs are perfect. Just what we were looking for!
I know you can’t really see in the mirror, but I’m wearing this Gap sweater I was lusting over a few weeks ago. My mom knows me so well, she picked it out for me last week. I also got these jeans half off at JCPenney’s and am in love. They do stretch a little. I could’ve gone down a size probably, but the length and fit is perfect. (OMG self pant portraits are awkward, check back later and this picture may be gone.)
DSC00235
This morning P and I were up and finished painting the kitchen before lunch time. I won’t bore you with more “did they really change the color” pictures. But it looks just great :)
art-of-racing-in-the-rain Thursday I finished “The Art of Racing in the Rain” by Garth Stein. I’m a pretty quick reader, but I finished that book in a week! It was SO.GOOD. The dog narrates the story of his life with his owner. It’s so good..and yes-it is like every other story with a dog, so be prepared. (If you’re not catchin’ what I’m throwin, shoot me an e-mail and I’ll fill ya in!) The owner, Denny, goes through some tough stuff like losing his wife and almost losing his daughter. It’s an easy quick read. Short chapters (<—love that). Either way, I highly recommend this book. The story’s uplifting, thoughtful and poignant throughout. I’m not sure what I’m going to read next. I think something girly and light. After “The Help” and this guy, my heartstrings are sore. Has anyone read “Chasing Harry Winston”? I’ve read all the Jennifer Weiner’s and Emily Griffin’s so I’m looking for a new chick lit author.
Well, I had this blue sample left when I thought we were doing the office blue. I put some up in the dining room, but I think it’s going to be too dark. I can’t decide. I’ll keep ya posted :) (See inspiration pics here.)UntitledHope everyone had a wonderful weekend, wet or dry!
signature2

2 comments:

Morgan said...

If you've read sappy books recently, read anything by Jen Lancaster. I've read all of her books and preordered her newest coming out in May from Amazon.com. She rulz. She's super sarcastic, witty and a total bitch. She's hilarious!

eas said...

The legs could NOT have turned out any better!!! LOVE THEM!!!