Wednesday, October 27, 2010

lima bean wreath

I could hardly contain my excitement Sunday when I got home with my bags o' lima beans. I pulled out the glue gun, got out my styrofoam wreath and got to work. Being ever so impatient, I ignored all instructions I had read to mark a spiral and glue along the line, or place at an angle. I also didn't glue the beans in rows; I did the top, outside, and inside separately. Once I figured out there was a slight disconnect between the planes (yay, geometry!), I tried to correct it by gluing the beans at slight angle where the corners met. (Am I making sense??) I also read it took Brooke HOURS to glue hers on. Mine? Not even close. Glued, painted and hung within the afternoon.

Here's the wreath before the coat of white spray paint..


Final product.. iPhone photos. I'm just going to quit warning you :)

Photobucket


And then this morning, Preston closed the door a little too hard, and now I have this..


Can't say I'm too upset. I have another bag of beans, and to be honest, walking by and seeing the foam peeking out between the beans was driving me nuts. Maybe I'll try again when the season comes. Maybe I should try acorns? Where do you get acorns??

(The inspiration before the fail)

4 comments:

Sara McCarty said...

Cute idea! You need a big bow to tie around it to keep it attached to the door. Also, what if you used a whole bunch of different colors/kinds of beans and did them more haphazardly, instead of in rows. That way you could cover any exposed foam holes. Kinda like a 13 bean soup! I love it!

Christine said...

Oh no! It was so cute!!! I hope he felt bad!

Caroline said...

The wreath was cute before it's untimely death. :( I guess you get acorns off of the ground. I've never seen them in a store.

Morgan said...

well that's a bit disappointing!